Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lost in Translation

Since I've been living in the USA and had to leave my huge collection of books in my country, sometimes I get "booksick" and I long to read one of my comfort reads. Since I'll be leaving for my country in the foreseable future and already have more stuff that what a suitcase can carry, I try to resist buying the books I already have.
At this time, leafing through books in one of the gorgeous bookstores becomes a guilty pleasure, but one that can lead to awful surprises.
One of my favorite books of all time is "Secret Fire", by Johanna Lindsey. I bought it (the spanish translation) when I was young, and was immediately drawn to its fairy tale quality. I loved the strenght of the female lead's personality and the fact that the hero was a russian prince who was reputed to be the handsomest man alive. I really thought that the heroine kicked ass, even though the only character she ever hits is the hero, and she actually receives a beating at the hands of the villainess.
After buying it, I read it and read it until I could almost recite my favorite parts. I used to reread parts of it every time I was bored or feeling blue. I absolutely loved it and knew it by heart.
Last weekend I was looking at the romance aisles at Borders when, oh marvelous surprise, I found a copy of my favorite book... in its original language, of course.
I grabbed it and quickly started to read one of my favorite scenes... but wait...that sentence wasn't there in my copy! And that other sentence is similar, but the meaning is different! I quickly leafed through the book, and with each "Bloody hell!" that the heroine said, I wanted to cry. The book is written beautifully, and the heroine's lines only enhance her "englishness", which is one of my favorite things about Katherine Saint John... but I was bitterly dissapointed that I hadn't read the original version!
It looks like, after all, I'll be buying a lot of books I've already read.
By the way, this is not the first time I've noticed that translators sometimes run wild. For intance, in Blyton's Adventure series, the names of the leading characters are Dinah, Phillip, Jack and Lucy-Ann in the original version. Well, in the spanish translation, they're Dolly, Jorge, Jack and Lucy. Who can understand their logic? (By the way, Dolly isn't a spanish name and is as little known as Dinah).

No comments:

Post a Comment