Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Enid Blyton Marathon

Less than a week ago I found the Enid Blyton Society, a marvelous place on the net for all the fans of this British children's author. Last weekend I came across a couple of her books on the Strand. Without realizing it, now I find myself in an Enid Blyton reading marathon.
I started with the Malory Towers books, a series about schoolgirls who attend an intern school. After reading the first 2, I switched to the St Clare series, which is pretty similar but it's more to my liking. I'm about to start the 5th in the series, "Claudine in St. Clare".
I've enjoyed this journey back to my childhood, when I used to love this author. Now I can see that the series have aged a little, and even though I still like them, I'm more critical and I've noticed some things that didn't bother me the first time I read it (but now they do).
I really don't care that the books are outdated (the girls don't have a TV, they only have a gramophone and the radio, and they use to knit and sew on their free time, and the money they have wouldn't buy them anything today). The thing that bothers me is that sometimes their behavior is plain bullying, and the teachers turn a blind eye to it, because the girls who abuse their classmates are "sensible", and the abused classmates have usually done something to deserve some kind of punishment from the other girls.
In one of the books I read, for example, one of the new girls is angry because she didn't want to go to that school and decides to become a nuisance. After several weeks her classmates tire of her attitude and give her a hellish day, hiding her books, destroying her papers and homework, making an "apple pie" bed which results in a torn sheet that this girl must mend, and getting her in trouble with the teachers. In other book, the girls don't like one of their classmates because she's an hyppocrite, and start making jokes to her, like putting a frog on her desk in the middle of the class. And when she tries to denounce the jokers, the teachers stop her and treat her with contempt because there's "nothing worse than telling tales."
Some of the plots are a little repetitive, with the new girls at each term being responsible for much of the argument. But the other thing that make this books a little "bland" is the lack of change in the girls. I mean, they're supposed to change thanks to the teachings at their school, and they become less silly and more responsible, sensible, happy, etc. But you don't see them "aging", even though the series start when the're 12 or 14 (depending if it's Malory Towers or St Clare) and finish when they leave school at 18, and not a single one of them has a boyfriend, or even fancied a boy. Those who take care of her hair and nails are seen as "feather-headed" and shallow.
What a difference with the Harry Potter books, in which you see all the torments of adolescence, the first spark of attraction between boys and girls and how many of them are at a loss about what to do! And even brainy Hermione had her moments of vanity.
However, even though I'm a little hard on Enid, I still like her books and had a "jolly good time" reading them and getting reacquainted with characters. Some I still like, some not so much. But it was a nice trip down memory lane!

No comments:

Post a Comment