Friday, June 4, 2010

Pilgrimage to Maine

As some people go to Mecca or Jerusalem, I did my personal pilgrimage to Maine last weekend.

Maine has always been a place full of significance for me. On one hand, it's the land of Stephen King, where so many of his books are set. On the other, it's a favorite spot for romance novel authors too.

While I was walking around Ogunquit and Portland and Bangor, I kept remembering the characters of King's horror novels. But when I went to Camden and Mount Desert Island, the couple of The Raider - Jessica and Alex Montgomery - kept springing to my mind. I could picture Jess wandering around the rugged coastline, catching fish and clams.

Jude Deveraux's Montgomerys live in Maine, in fictional Warbrooke. Paullina Simon's couple from The Bronze Horseman ended up in Maine, in the second book of the trilogy. LaVyrle Spencer has a book entitled That Summer in Camden. And Johanna Lindsey is currently living there (as the god, S. King)

No comments:

Post a Comment